20051105

Well it’s quite nice here at the Sirrus 12 Docking and Departure Platform, very busy too, with beings from all over the galaxy, coming and going and amusing themselves in all the little department stores and caffeine huts on the second to top level, as they wait for their next flights out or for their loved ones to arrive. Sometimes I just like to sit there, right in the middle of all the complexity of interaction, just watching and observing everything that’s going on, kind of all under the radar, like everyone’s just the bright centre to their own private universe and their friends, family and acquaintances are all just different surrounding galaxies.

For lunch I went up and found a nice little restaurant with a view. I wanted to see if my little friend Daisy was out there. I sat down at a place called Endora’s Intergalactic Cuisine and got them to bring me the largest thing on the menu, but when waitress informed me that smoked giant starwhale was the largest thing on the menu, even though it would have been a touch ironic, I just had to go for the next item down the list. It was quite a good view out the large window and I watched with awe as a few Tansgalactic Starliners made the jump to hyperspace, but there was no Daisy. My food arrived and I consumed the whole plate with much eagerness and delight and when I had finished, I even thought about licking the plate, but I didn’t and instead I just asked for the cheque.

I looked out the window once more, but with little expectation, content with gazing at the stars, the millions of tiny points so far away and the flashing of various transports and starliners periodically passing by. Then just as I was about pay my starbucks and leave the table, with a strange silence, just meters from my window emerged the enormous head of Daisy the starwhale, casually floating by. There came a low, distributed gasp and murmur among the crowd, from various others in the restaurant and people passing by, turning to watch as Daisy breezed on past and as she did – it could have just been my imagination – but I sensed a certain expression, something in her relatively small eye – about the size of a dinner plate – that seemed to say that she was aware of my presence, sitting there at the window of the Sirrus 12 Docking and Departure Platform.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home