20051104

I’ve tried to busy myself with various things while in here, but for some reason nothing seemed to be helping very much. I was feeling a little bit nauseous a short while ago, looking out of the small window into infinite space, just waiting and watching and thinking and waiting. I had to dig around in my pocket to look for one of my pills, when I came across my plastic pill container that had in it the parts from that macrovirus green phage from the junk ship. I looked through the plastic at the mangled metal body of the poor little creature and although I know it probably sounds more than a little bit strange, I almost felt an eerie kind of compassion towards the thing. I recognised an ever so vague similarity between it and me, shooting aimlessly through space, attempting to cling onto existence as best I could and just waiting for something to cross my path.

I thought for a while about my simple upbringing back home on the farm, my desperate longing, after the incident, to train at the Star Force Academy and really make something of myself, but then afterwards, resigning my dreams to the various jobs that I guess I was subtlety persuaded into taking on, just to pay the imaginary bills for thruster fuel, hyperdrive crystals, communications subscriptions, cigarettes and alcohol, all the latest in clothes according to galactic trends, one more reality screen for your bedroom and about a million other must have, optional extras. Until I finally began selling and performing consciousness uploads on behalf of the prestigious Immotec Ltd. I had finally made it, or so I thought. Lots of things just kept going around and around in my head, that feeling of isolation had compounded and the beeping and buzzing walls of the small space capsule appeared as though they were somehow closing in all around me.

Things were beginning to get pretty desperate. I think there is only so much sitting and thinking about nothing and doing nothing but thinking that one person can do before they begin to lose it, but hope, it seems, has somehow raised its head from the shadows, where it almost seemed to have been lost forever. A tiny blip had appeared on one of the small data screens on one of the lower panels and then another just beside it. The long distance scopes it seemed had detected something dead ahead, directly intersecting the escape pod’s flight path. Although many of the pod’s instruments were foreign to me, a few looked familiar and I tried the best I could to get some idea what these two objects could be. It took some time and a bit of playing around, but as they began to draw nearer, the two objects became clear on the main display. One was a medium sized, orbital space station, the other, a giant starwhale.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home