20051102

We’ve been boarded! It’s not too uncommon for the authorities to board deep space freighters every now and then, but I’m not sure exactly what they’re doing this far out from any star system. Unless they’ve been tracking and following us from the last we passed through. Long distance freighters usually don’t have very sophisticated scanning capabilities like the combat frigates or ships like that. They’re usually looking for smuggled weapons or any stashes of controlled substances, things like that. The captain seemed a little surprised and tense as he announced the boarding to the crew. I really haven’t seen anything too dodgy going on around the place in the few months I’ve been on board, but then again you never know.

Usually it’s a good idea just to stay out of the way, out of sight and just let the authorities go about their business and leave, but today they specifically asked to speak to me. There was a loud knock on the door, three hard metallic clunks, then someone shouting “open up in there!” I turned off the bad daytime realityvision show that I was half watching in the background and unlocked the door. It slid open with its usual grinding sound and there stood the captain who informed me that there were a few people here to see me and they had a few things to talk about.

I nodded for them to enter, wondering what exactly they could possibly want to speak to me about, and following the captain in, walked two rather tall gentlemen in seemingly expensive, tight fitting suits followed by a very professional looking young lady with thick glasses, who although she was quite a bit smaller than her counterparts, seemed to carry with her a presence that overshadowed the others. I closed the door behind them. They certainly didn’t look like any authorities I had ever seen in any part of the galaxy. The girl, who couldn’t have been very much older than twenty-three, introduced herself as Vanessa Schneider and said in a very matter-of-factly tone of voice, “We have reason to believe that you, Mr. Stargazer, are a traitor and a spy.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home