20051101

Well, today was just an ordinary day really, a routine I’ve become accustomed to following over the past few months. The alarm droid slapped me in the face a few times before I got up, stumbled over to the shower, which I still can’t believe has no hot water. What kind of age are we living in? Got out, ate some disgustingly plain synthetic breakfast, went for a walk, did some exercise, read a bit, watched some realityvision for a while and decided to write in here for a bit.

So anyway, what I really want to tell you is a story, they say everyone has at least one good story in them. Well I’m not sure how good they are, but I sure do have plenty of stories. Perhaps all my mediocre tales combined, with their joint forces, create the equivalent of one good story. I guess it’s all a matter of that you consider a good story as well. One man’s junk and all that. Speaking of which: I wonder sometimes about all the junk on this freighter, where it came from, its story of existence and where it’s going. The junk disposal business is huge these days, so competitive too, when there are laws against just dumping it into outer space. They say it’s to reduce hyperspace particle collision damage, but sometimes I think it’s just so the junk companies can stay in business.

But speaking of big business, before the great collapse, ours was virtually the biggest. The company I worked for, Immotec Inc. had – when times were good and the economy was at its peak – one of the highest share prices in the galaxy. I had only been there for a few years, but already was beginning to climb the ladder. What I did there was pretty simple, the product sold itself, back in the day when things were booming and there were plenty of people rolling in enough cash who could afford the luxury. Even some of the workers were able to afford the procedure after their working days had finished; they simply forfeited their superannuation to us, plus maybe a few surcharges, depending on the package, and their future existence in this sorry universe was assured. Of course, times were good back then; everyone was looking to the future, what new things it would bring. No one thought it would become what it is today. Perhaps if they had known, the idea of living forever wouldn’t have been so profitable.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home