20051104

Adrift in the blackness of space, alone in this cramped little escape pod, I sit, surrounded by various instruments, controls and display screens, all beeping and flashing away like mad. I’ve checked them all, but none of them seem to pick up the slightest bit of realityvison at all, so unfortunately it seems I am stuck in here with little but the crazy thoughts in my head to pass the time away. I don’t mind it too much though, as it can possibly afford me the opportunity just to think about things for a bit and it also gives me a bit more time to write in here, about the way things were before, and how they came to be now.

I actually managed to get a few hours sleep before, despite the fact that finding a comfortable position to lie down in here is a damn near impossibility and I now have a rather sharp pain in my neck where it must have been bent into the wrong position for just a little too long. You’d think they would have designed these things with a little more care, with people in mind perhaps, maybe not just profit and cost minimisation. Seems that’s just the way things are these days. I wonder if it could ever change.

The space capsule was virtually without controls and seemed as though it was programmed just to emit a distress beacon at regular intervals. I wonder how far away it is from the nearest star system. Most escape pods have only limited propulsion capabilities and navigation instruments, so even if I knew which way it was to an inhabitable planet, I’m not certain I’d be able to steer us in the right direction. And so it seems I am to wait here, absolutely dependant on whatever future the universe has for me. I am optimistic in the hope that I have most likely been cast away along a populated part of the galaxy, a frequently used trade route or something and it is quite possible that I will be picked up fairly soon, today or tomorrow even by a freighter responding to the distress signal, but then again, there is a slight possibility that I could have drifted off course, beyond all hope leading into uncharted, solemn space, and I could be adrift indefinitely.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home