20051106

Sorry about that. Turns out it was just the small realityvision that I had left on in the cockpit, playing some old horror film. You know those ones where the crew of some ship find a whole lot of weird alien eggs on a strange planet and then for some reason they decide to take one back to the ship in order to study it or something and then it goes around and kills everyone on board. I watched it for a little bit, but must have fallen asleep right in the pilot’s seat, only just waking up a little while ago. I guess it’s understandable though after the events of the night and admittedly, Johnny’s pilot’s chairs were pretty comfortable. I turned the reality screen off, which was playing some strange kind of game show and came to finish my story.

So anyway, Johnny Lightsmith had just put the ship on autopilot and after replicating us up something to drink, had sat down ready to talk. First he got me to tell him everything that I knew about the Free Radicals, which wasn’t really all that much, and then all about the storage chip and my mission to deliver it to the leaders of the Free Radicals, telling me that quite a few years ago, just after the great collapse, he had become involved with the group, telling me all kinds of stories about his agent training and about all the secret, undercover missions he’d been on, all in the name of freedom, freedom from the corporations and freedom from the – then only newly forming – Greater Conglomerate.

After a few more drinks and few more stories, he had already subtly offered a few times to take the storage chip back to the Free Radical base himself, which was where he was headed to next, take it off my hands so as it won’t be a burden any longer. I was about to just let him have it as well, to free myself of the responsibility, when I remembered Princess Lillie, wide eyed, full of hope, the trust she put in me and her earnest words, warning me against letting the chip slip into the wrong hands. Johnny was persistent though, and unbelievably persuasive. I could feel myself wanting to hand it over all the time, even though I knew that I couldn’t. Eventually, most likely after observing my reactions to certain things, the mention of Princess Lilly for example – an old salesman trick – he said that he had heard from a reliable source that the princess had indeed been captured by the Greater Conglomerate and made the assertion that if I didn’t give the storage chip to him, that I could be putting her life in unnecessary danger.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home